Article-Buzz.com | Featured Articles

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Peace from Within

by William Frank Diedrich

The world we observe and participate in is a reflection of the thoughts we hold. This is our world. The helping, the hurting, the peacemaking, the war making, the blaming and the blessing are all reflections of us. The key to creating a more peaceful world lies in creating a more peaceful you.

I teach peace. I teach it by asking people to move beyond blaming. In my books, articles, classes, speaking and consulting I teach about the possibilities that lie within us. My life also teaches. Some days I teach blaming and conflict. I am not proud of those days, but there is this part of me that wants to blame, to be a victim, to be right, and to tell others what they need to do. This part of me doesn't teach peace. I see the violence, the hatred, the blaming and the attacking in the world and I know that these events reflect who I am being.

Some days my thoughts and emotions are like a speeding train with no brakes. That's how it is for others who are caught up in war and conflict. They are speeding toward destruction and my criticism serves only to perpetuate it. When I criticize myself for not being peaceful, I add to my turmoil. When I am outraged against someone else's behavior I am, in effect, supporting that behavior.